Assessment of life quality in patients with osteoporosis
Keywords:osteoporosis, quality of life, questionaire
In recent times, osteoporosis has taken epidemic proportions. It is a disorder that in time of industrialization and application of new technologies is starting to impact even the younger population. The use of modern devices in everyday life is resulting in a reduce level of human physical activity, consequently leading to inactive way of life and increase in number of people suffering from osteoporosis. According to WHO definition, osteoporosis is a disease state characterized by loss of bone mineral density and bone loss which over time eventually result in fractures. As a disease, osteoporosis represents a great medical, social and economic challenge. Due to the recent years increase in number of people diagnosed with osteopenia and osteoporosis there is a growing interest for this problem within scientific community and among health professionals, and there has been a great number of attempts to develop guidelines for diagnosis, diagnostics and treatment for patients who are suffering from it. The person with the problem of osteoporosis have impaired quality of life. Objective of this paper is to show that all questionnaires can improve the assessment of the condition of patients with osteopoeroze and thus have a positive impact on quality of life.
2. Vlak T. Non-pharmacological treatment of osteoporosis. Medicina fluminensis. 2012;48(4):435-443.
3. Çakur B, Dagistan S , Şahin A, Harorli A,Yilmaz AB. Reliability of mandibular cortical index and mandibular bone mineral density in the detection of osteoporotic women. Dentomaxillofac Radiol. 2009;38(5):255-261. doi:10.1259/dmfr/22559806.
4. Zoričić Cvek S. Bone biopsy and histomorphometry as a tool for diagnosis of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases. Medicina fluminensis. 2008;44(3-4):235- 240.
5. Karinkanta S, Piirtola M, Sievänen H, Uusi-Rasi K, Kannus P. Physical therapy approaches to reduce fall and fracture risk among older adults. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2010;6(7):396-407.
6. Wright NC, Looker AC, Saag KG, Curtis J, Delzell ES, Randall S, Dawson‐Hughes B. The recent prevalence of osteoporosis and low bone mass in the United States based on bone mineral density at the femoral neck or lumbar spine. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 2014;29(11):2520-2526.
7. Pitts CJ, Kearns AE. Update on medications with adverse skeletal effects. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86(4):338-343.
8. Rachner TD, Khosla S, Hofbauer LC. Osteoporosis: now and the future. Lancet. 2011;377(9773):1276-1287.
9. Gregov C, Šalaj S. The effects of different training modalities on bone mass: a review. Kinesiology. 2012;46:10-29.
10. Bonnick S, Harris S, Kendler D, McClung M, Silverman S. Menagment of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: 2010 position statement of The North American Menopause Society. Menopause. 2010;17(1):25-54.
11. Anić B, Mayer, M. Glucocorticoid induced osteoporosis. Reumatizam. 2014;61(2):105-112.
12. Ćurković B. Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2007;58:19-24. doi: 10.2478/v10004-007-0004-8.
13. Kanis JA, Burlet N, Cooper C, Delmas PD, Reginster JY, Borgstrom F. European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis Int. 2008;19(4):399-428.
14. Gomez-Cabello A, Ara I, Gonzalez-Aguero A, Casajus JA, Vicente-Rodriguez G. Effects of training on bone mass in older adults: A systematic review. Sports Medicine. 2012;42:301-325.
15. National Osteoporosis Foundation. National Osteoporosis Foundation Fast Facts. Washington: National Osteoporosis Foundation; 2012.
16. See Tai S, Parsons T, Rutherford O, Lliffe S. Physical activity for preventing and treating osteoporosis in men. Cochrane Database Systematic Review. 2009;1:1–5.
17. Watts NB, Adler RA, Bilezikian JP, Drake MT, Eastell R, Orowoll ES, Finkelstein JS. Osteoporosis in men: An endocrine society clinical guideline. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology Metabolism. 2012;97:1802–1822.
18. Geusens P, Harey NC, Cooper C. Osteoporosis and clinical features. In: EULAR BMJ group. Textbook on rheumatic diseases. London: EULAR BMJ group; 2012. p. 768-792.
19. Watts NB, Bilezikian JP, Camacho PM, Greenspan SL, Harris ST, Hodgson SF. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Medical Guidelines for Clinical Practice for the diagnosis and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis:executive summary of recommendations. Endocr Pract. 2010;16(6):1016-1019.
20. Wade SW, Strader C, Fitzpatrick LA, Anthony MS, O'Malley CD. Estimating prevalence of osteoporosis: examples from industrialized countries. Arch Osteoporos. 2014;9:182.
21. Burge R., Dawson-Hughes B, Solomon DH, Wong JB, King A, Tosteson A. Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States 2005–25. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22(3):465-475.
22. Jankovic S, Muftić M, Smajovic M. The Association between Physical Activity and FRAX Score in Women. Ann Gerontol Geriatric Res. 2016;3(1):1034-1040.
23. Babić S, Jelica S, Šubarić J, Muftć M. Physical activity as an important factor in preventing osteoporosis. SEEHSJ. 2013;3(1):63-68.
24. Madureira MM, Rozana M. Ciconelli M, Pereira RM. Quality of life measurements in patients with osteoporosis and fractures. CLINICS. 2012;67(11):1315-1320.
25. Hunter MS. The Women’s Health Questionnaire (WHQ): Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2003;1:41.
26. McClung MR, Love B, Rosen CJ. Evaluation of a new osteoporosis quality of life questionnaire (OQLQ) for women with osteoporosis and back pain (abstr). J Bone Mineral Res. 1995;10:419.
27. Cook DJ, Guyatt GH, Adachi JD, Epstein RS, Juniper EF, Austin PA. Development and validation of the Mini-Osteoporosis Quality of Life Questionnaire (OQLQ) in osteoporotic women with back pain due to vertebral fractures. Osteoporosis Quality of Life Study Group. Osteoporos Int. 1999;10(3):207-213.
28. Silverman SL, Mason J, Greenwald M. The Osteoporosis Assessment Questionnaire (OPAQ): A reliable and valid self-assessment measure of quality of life in osteoporosis (abstract 904). J Bone Miner Res. 1993;8:343.
29. Helmes E, Hodsman A, , Lazowski. A questionnaire to evaluate disability in osteoporotic patients with vertebral compression fractures. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1995;50(2):91-98.
30. Van Schoor MM, Knol DL, Glas Caw, Ostelo RW, Leple `ge A, Cooper C. Development of the Qualeffo-31, an osteoporosis-specific qualityof-life questionnaire. Osteoporos Int. 2006;17(4):543-551.
31. Lydick E, Zimmerman SI, Yawn B, Love B, Kleerekoper M, Ross P. Development and validation of a discriminative quality of life questionnaire for osteoporosis (The OPTQoL). J Bone Min Res. 1997;12(3):456-463.
32. Badia X, Dı ´ez-Pe ´rez A, Lahoz R, Liza ´n L, Nogue ´s X, Iborra J. The ECOS16 questionnaire for the evaluation of health related quality of life in post-menopausal women with osteoporosis. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2004;2:41.
33. Marquis R, Cialdella P, De La Loge C. Development and validation of a specific quality of life module for postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: the Qualiost. Qual Life Res. 2001;10(6):555-566.
34. Hass Rubin K, Abrahamsen B, Friis-Holmberg, Hjelmborg JVB, Bech M, Pernille Hermann A, Barkmann R, Glüer CC, Brixen K. Comparison of different screening tools (FRAX®, OST, ORAI, OSIRIS, SCORE and age alone) to identify women with increased risk of fracture. A population-based prospective study. Bone. 2013;56(1):16-22.
35. Krpan D. New approach to osteoporosis tratment. Available from: http://www.k-centar.hr/osteoporoza.php#osteoporoza4 [Accessed 23rd Jan 2017].
36. Alghadir AH, Gabr SA, Al-Eisa ES Alghadir MH. Correlation between bone mineral dentisty and serum trace element sin responce to supervised aerobic training in older adults. Clinical Interventions in Aging. 2016;11:265-273.
37. Bautista-Molano W, Fernández-Avila D, Jiménez R, Cardozo R, Marín A, Soler MD, Gómez O, Ruiz O. Epidemiological profile of colombian patients with rheumatoid arthritis in a specialized care clinic. Reumatol Clin. 2016;12(6):313-318. doi: 10.1016/j.reuma.2015.11.009.
38. Chan V, Cave AJ, Banh HL. Self-reported osteoporosis prevention in inhaled corticosteroid users in community pharmacy setting. SAGE Open Med. 2015;3:2050312115586912. doi: 10.1177/2050312115586912.
39. Kapetanović A, Avdić D, Marković K, Basarevic M, Lokmić E. Influence of osteoporosis risk faktors on bone mass loss in postmenopausal women. Journal of Health Sciences.. Journal of Health Sciences. 2011;1(1):28-30.
40. Sanel S, Sezgin G, Sarıman N, Ugutmen E, Solakoglu C. Bilateral non-traumatic hip fractures in a heavy smoker COPD patient on inhaled steroids. Arch Osteoporos. 2016;11(1):8.
41. Abukhadir SS, Mohamed N, Mohamed N. Pathogenesis of alcohol-induced osteoporosis and its treatment: a review. Curr Drug Targets. 2013;14(13):1601-1610.
42. Nagammai T1, Mohazmi M, Liew SM, Chinna K, Lai PS. Validation of the Malay version of the Quality of Life Questionnaire of the European Foundation for Osteoporosis (QUALEFFO-41) in Malaysia. Qual Life Res. 2015;24(8):2031-2037.
43.Tadic I, Vujasinovic Stupar N, Tasic Lj, Stevanovic D, Dimic A, Stamenkovic B, Stojanovic S, Milenkovic S. Validation of the osteoporosis quality of life questionnaire QUALEFFO-41 for the Serbian population. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes. 2012;10:74.
44. Zhou C, Li Q, Huang S, Fan L, Wang B, Dai J, Tang X. Validation of the simplified Chinese version of the quality of life questionnaire of the European foundation for osteoporosis (QUALEFFO-31). Eur Spine J. 2016;25(1):318-324.
45. Loge C, Sullivan K, Pinkney R, Marquis P, Roux C, Meunier PJ. Cross-cultural validation and analysis of responsiveness of the QUALIOST®: QUAlity of Life questionnaire In OSTeoporosis. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2005;3:69.
46. Lee JS, Son SM, Goh TS, Kim TH, Noh EY. Validation of the ECOS-16 Questionnaire in Koreans with Osteoporosis. Asian Spine J. 2016;10(5):877-885.
How to Cite
Articles in BioMedicine and Surgery are published under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license. Full text of Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International license can be viewed at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode.